The Advertiser (Adelaide)
The Advertiser is currently a daily newspaper published in the city of Adelaide, South Australia. First published as a broadsheet named "The South Australian Advertiser" on 12 July 1858, it is currently printed daily from Monday to Saturday. A Sunday edition exists under the name of the Sunday Mail. The Advertiser is a publication of News Limited. Both The Advertiser and The Sunday Mail are available for purchase throughout South Australia and some towns and regions in New South Wales, Victoria and the Northern Territory located near or adjacent to the South Australia state border such as Broken Hill, Mildura, Nhill and Alice Springs.
According to The Advertiser's website, the newspaper is read by over 580,000 people each weekday, and by more than 740,000 people each Saturday. The head office of The Advertiser has relocated from premises in King William Street, to a new office complex - known as Keith Murdoch House - at 31 Waymouth Street Adelaide.
The South Australian Advertiser and The South Australian Weekly Chronicle were founded in 1858 by the Reverend John Henry Barrow, a former editor of a competing newspaper, the South Australian Register. The South Australian Advertiser was published from 12 July 1858 (Vol 1, no 1) to 22 March 1889 (Vol 31, no 9493). It continued from 1889 as The Advertiser
Between 1893 and 1929, Sir John Langdon Bonython was the sole proprietor of The Advertiser. As well as being a talented newspaper editor, he also supported the movement towards the Federation of Australia. The Canberra suburb of Bonython, and the now abolished South Australian electoral division of Bonython, were named in his honour.
On Langdon Bonython's retirement, his son Sir John Lavington Bonython, also Mayor and later Lord Mayor of Adelaide, became editor.
The Herald and Weekly Times took a controlling stake in The Advertiser in 1929. Through the 20th century, The Advertiser was the morning broadsheet, and The News the afternoon tabloid. On the death of Sir Keith Murdoch in 1952, ownership of The News passed to his son Rupert Murdoch, who subsequently established News Limited and News Corporation. When Murdoch acquired The Herald and Weekly Times in 1987, he also acquired the remaining shares of The Advertiser. He sold The News in 1987. The News closed in 1992. He changed the format of The Advertiser from a broadsheet to a smaller tabloid format in November 1997.
- The South Australian Advertiser, published 1858-1889, National Library of Australia, digital newspaper library.
- C. M. Sinclair, 'Barrow, John Henry (1817 - 1874)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 3, Melbourne University Press, 1969, pp 104-105.
- "NLA - Australian Newspaper Plan - Australia's most significant 'at risk' newspapers". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 2008-08-24.
- W. B. Pitcher, Bonython, Sir John Langdon (1848 - 1939), Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 7, Melbourne University Press, 1979, pp 339-341
- W. B. Pitcher, Bonython, Sir John Lavington (1875 - 1960), Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 7, Melbourne University Press, 1979, pp 341-342.