Suter Family - F84
Edward and Fanny - F84
King's Norton, Birmingham
|Lived||b. Abt 1815|
|Lived||b. Abt 1817|
|Voyage to Adelaide in 1864|
|Under command of||Captain David Bruce|
|Departure date||6th August 1864|
|Arrival port||Port Adelaide|
|Arrival date||7th November 1864|
|Voyage duration||93 days|
|Port of Call|
|Port of call||Plymouth|
|Arrival||12th Aug 1864|
|Departure||12th Aug 1864|
Edward and Fanny Suter
Edward Suter married Fanny Morris at King’s Norton (now a suburb of Birmingham) in 1838. They were 49 and 47 respectively at the time of the maiden voyage, and died at their Kensington SA home in the 1890s. No children were born here. Apart from regular advertisements for Edward's boot and shoe making (cordwainer) business, no other reference to them could be found.
We asked that anyone who could help identify this couple to contact us, and thankfully Di Cummings of TheShipsList helped with information that helps to confirm that Edward and Fanny are the Suter couple we sought.
The information from Di Cummings' TheShipsList identified that
- PRINCE REGENT from London 1839 September 25 - Adelaide SUTER, Edward 23 [born Birmingham ENG] cordwainer
- PRINCE REGENT from London 1839 September 25 - Adelaide SUTER, Fanny 21 (wife of Edward),
- Applic.4914 for free passage to South Australia, Adult=1M and 1F, dated May 11th, 1839.
The respective ages of Edward and Fanny Suter on the Prince Regent (London to Adelaide) in 1839, and those of the couple on the City of Adelaide (London to Adelaide) in 1864, fit very neatly indeed.
There seems little doubt that the pair who migrated in 1839 were returning to Adelaide after a visit ‘home’ to England.
Twenty five years on, and without children, they could now afford the luxury of a First-Class passage on the brand-new City of Adelaide.
Researched by Di Cummings, TheShipsList
- "Advertising.". South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900) (Adelaide, SA: National Library of Australia). 8 December 1891. p. 2. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- "Family Notices.". South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900) (Adelaide, SA: National Library of Australia). 14 January 1895. p. 4. Retrieved 7 December 2013.